GMO seeds boost corn yields more than 40%

mon futureyieldchart corn large

Throughout human history, as the world’s population has grown, so, too, has the amount of arable land converted into farmland.

But we’re reaching an inflection point in agriculture that complicates that simple principle of expansion. The world has nearly exhausted its land reserves available for farming.

038_mon_futureyieldchart_corn_largeThat means humans will need to find a way to increase the amount of food produced from land already dedicated to agriculture. To do that, farmers will need to rely on yield-boosting technology more than ever.

Global demand for corn increased 24 percent from 2007 to 2013. Farmers met demand by boosting production through a combination of improving yields (technology) and adding more farmland (simple expansion). As the chart illustrates, roughly 40 percent of increased corn production during the period came from improving yields, while the remaining 60 percent  bump was derived from land expansion.

Yet, the additional production for each crop will be overwhelmingly dependent on improving yields (technology) instead of the historical low-hanging fruit presented by land expansion. That presents a daunting challenge, but Monsanto is ready to answer the call.

Read full, original article: 1 Chart Shows Farmers (and Investors) Need Monsanto Now More Than Ever

Outbreak
Outbreak Daily Digest
Biotech Facts & Fallacies
Talking Biotech
Genetics Unzipped
Video: Test everyone – Slovakia goes its own way to control COVID

Video: Test everyone – Slovakia goes its own way to control COVID

As Europe sees record coronavirus cases and deaths, Slovakia is testing its entire adult population. WSJ's Drew Hinshaw explains how ...
mag insects image superjumbo v

Disaster interrupted: Which farming system better preserves insect populations: Organic or conventional?

A three-year run of fragmentary Armageddon-like studies had primed the journalism pumps and settled the media framing about the future ...
dead bee desolate city

Are we facing an ‘Insect Apocalypse’ caused by ‘intensive, industrial’ farming and agricultural chemicals? The media say yes; Science says ‘no’

The media call it the “Insect Apocalypse”. In the past three years, the phrase has become an accepted truth of ...
globalmethanebudget globalcarbonproject cropped x

Infographic: Cows cause climate change? Agriculture scientist says ‘belching bovines’ get too much blame

A recent interview by Caroline Stocks, a UK journalist who writes about food, agriculture and the environment, of air quality ...
organic hillside sweet corn x

Organic v conventional using GMOs: Which is the more sustainable farming?

Many consumers spend more for organic food to avoid genetically modified products in part because they believe that “industrial agriculture” ...
benjamin franklin x

Are most GMO safety studies funded by industry?

The assertion that biotech companies do the research and the government just signs off on it is false ...
favicon

Environmental Working Group: EWG challenges safety of GMOs, food pesticide residues

Known by some as the "Environmental Worrying Group," EWG lobbies for tighter GMO legislation and famously puts out annual "dirty dozen" list of fruits and ...
m hansen

Michael Hansen: Architect of Consumers Union ongoing anti-GMO campaign

Michael K. Hansen (born 1956) is thought by critics to be the prime mover behind the ongoing campaign against agricultural biotechnology at Consumer Reports. He is an ...
News on human & agricultural genetics and biotechnology delivered to your inbox.
Optional. Mail on special occasions.
Send this to a friend