You might expect to find these fish at the core of an ancient, distant asteroid, but we find them instead on Earth. That doesn’t mean they aren’t special, though. In fact, their immune systems may be the key to unlocking a new treatment for a human brain disease.
Video: How the unique immune system of prehistoric-like jawless lamprey fish may unlock cures for brain diseases
This article or excerpt is included in the GLP’s daily curated selection of ideologically diverse news, opinion and analysis of biotechnology innovation.
Follow the latest news and policy debates on agricultural biotech and biomedicine? Subscribe to our newsletter.
Outbreak Daily Digest
Organic Consumers Association: Activist group promotes ‘fear and deception’ about crop biotechnology, promotes vaccine conspiracy theories, calls for ‘American revolution’
Scientists and science journalists call OCA--the organization funding the attack ...
Joseph Mercola and Mercola.com: Alternative ‘natural’ supplement and health merchant promotes quack cures, promotes vaccine conspiracy theories, attacks mainstream medicine, funds organic, anti-GMO groups
Osteopath who believes traditional medicine "responsible for killing ... millions ...
- Did Homo sapiens really outcompete Neanderthals? Genetics is rewriting the story of human evolution
- COVID and the Amish: Ohio congregants face soaring infectections and vaccination rate is only 1%. Here’s why
- Sleepy during the day? Struggle with sleep apnea? Both are genetically linked to telomeres, parts of your chromosomes that reflect biological age
- Video: 10 of the most prominent anti-vaccine celebrities, from Jim Carrey to Jenny McCarthy
- Is there a difference between a gene-edited organism and a ‘GMO’? The question has important implications for regulation