Is it time to retire ‘book’ metaphor when talking about DNA?

| | April 30, 2015
This article or excerpt is included in the GLP’s daily curated selection of ideologically diverse news, opinion and analysis of biotechnology innovation.

Since its discovery, biologists have compared DNA to a book that contains the instructions for making a cell’s proteins. But if a genome is text, it is badly edited. Most DNA is gibberish, full of stutters, snippets of doggerel from other species, and echoes of quiescent viruses. In humans, only about 2 percent of the genome encodes proteins. Much — but not all — of the remaining 98 percent is evolutionary detritus. In the 1960s, researchers learned that non-coding DNA can serve vital functions, such as regulating gene action and building ribosomes. The remainder they began to call junk.

Today, junk DNA is at the heart of the most radical transformation of how we understand the genome since the information metaphor. Three books — The Deeper Genome by John Parrington, Junk DNA by Nessa Carey and Biocode by Dawn Field and Neil Davies — present a vision of the twenty-first-century genome. Their relative success hinges on metaphor and imagery, both in how they conceive the genome and in the writing itself.

In September 2012, the ENCODE (Encyclopedia of DNA Elements) consortium announced that its multi-year international effort to catalogue the various types of DNA sequence had assigned “biochemical function” to 80 percent of the human genome. Incautious reporters began shouting that junk was bunk, even though scientific consensus maintains that most genomes contain large amounts of it. The subsequent debate upregulated public interest in non-coding DNA — but how do we talk about DNA now?

The GLP aggregated and excerpted this blog/article to reflect the diversity of news, opinion and analysis. Read full, original post: Genetics: We are the 98%

Outbreak
Outbreak Daily Digest
Biotech Facts & Fallacies
Talking Biotech
Genetics Unzipped
a a b b a f ac a

Video: Death by COVID: The projected grim toll in historical context

The latest statistics, as of July 10, show COVID-19-related deaths in U.S. are just under 1,000 per day nationally, which is ...
mag insects image superjumbo v

Disaster interrupted: Which farming system better preserves insect populations: Organic or conventional?

A three-year run of fragmentary Armageddon-like studies had primed the journalism pumps and settled the media framing about the future ...
dead bee desolate city

Are we facing an ‘Insect Apocalypse’ caused by ‘intensive, industrial’ farming and agricultural chemicals? The media say yes; Science says ‘no’

The media call it the “Insect Apocalypse”. In the past three years, the phrase has become an accepted truth of ...
types of oak trees

Infographic: Power of evolution? How oak trees came to dominate North American forests

Over the course of some 56 million years, oaks, which all belong to the genus Quercus, evolved from a single undifferentiated ...
biotechnology worker x

Can GMOs rescue threatened plants and crops?

Some scientists and ecologists argue that humans are in the midst of an "extinction crisis" — the sixth wave of ...
food globe x

Are GMOs necessary to feed the world?

Experts estimate that agricultural production needs to roughly double in the coming decades. How can that be achieved? ...
eating gmo corn on the cob x

Are GMOs safe?

In 2015, 15 scientists and activists issued a statement, "No Scientific consensus on GMO safety," in the journal Environmental Sciences ...
Screen Shot at PM

Charles Benbrook: Agricultural economist and consultant for the organic industry and anti-biotechnology advocacy groups

Independent scientists rip Benbrook's co-authored commentary in New England Journal calling for reassessment of dangers of all GMO crops and herbicides ...
Screen Shot at PM

ETC Group: ‘Extreme’ biotechnology critic campaigns against synthetic biology and other forms of ‘extreme genetic engineering’

The ETC Group is an international environmental non-governmental organization (NGO) based in Canada whose stated purpose is to monitor "the impact of emerging technologies and ...
Share via
News on human & agricultural genetics and biotechnology delivered to your inbox.
Optional. Mail on special occasions.
Send this to a friend