The GLP is committed to full transparency. Download and review our Annual Report.

The GLP is committed to full transparency. Download and review our Annual Report.

Plaintiff accepts reduced damages in first glyphosate-cancer trial, Bayer to appeal verdict

| November 2, 2018

A Northern California groundskeeper said [October 31] that he will accept a judge’s reduced verdict of $78 million against Monsanto after a jury found the company’s weed killer caused his cancer. DeWayne Johnson’s attorney formally informed the San Francisco Superior Court that he would not contest the judge’s decision to reduce a jury’s original $289 million award.

Johnson could have demanded a new trial.

A jury unanimously decided in August that Monsanto’s Roundup weed killer caused Johnson’s cancer. His doctor testified that the 46-year-old has less than three years to live.

Monsanto spokesman Daniel Childs did not immediately return a phone call. He previously said the company planned to appeal every adverse verdict. The company is facing 8,000 similar lawsuits across the country.

Related article:  Indian crop scientists: 9 natural organic pesticides that can harm our health and ecosystem

Johnson’s spokeswoman Robin McCall says his attorney disagrees with the judge’s settlement reduction, but will accept the lower amount in hopes of achieving “a final resolution within his lifetime.”

Read full, original article: Groundskeeper accepts reduced $78 million Monsanto verdict

The GLP aggregated and excerpted this article to reflect the diversity of news, opinion, and analysis. Click the link above to read the full, original article.
News on human & agricultural genetics and biotechnology delivered to your inbox.
Optional. Mail on special occasions.

Send this to a friend