Should you make ‘life plan’ based on all your genetic risks?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
sequencing nigms

The GLP aggregated and excerpted this blog/article to reflect the diversity of news, opinion and analysis.

Lee and his wife are the first patients of Dan Carlin to have their entire genome mapped. Lee has been reading about mapping for some time. After watching the cost fall from millions of dollars to single-digit thousands of dollars, he approached Carlin, the founder of WorldClinic and a pioneer in digital health care delivery, with the idea of having his own genome mapped, a step he saw as an essential investment in his family’s health.

Like Lee and his wife, every person has about 3.2 billion base pairs of genes, out of which 99.9 percent are the same. The other 0.1 percent represents the differences in how people look and act, their unique traits and what their health risks are. Those are the genes that are analyzed and interpreted by highly trained geneticists.

A common reaction is for people to be afraid to know what diseases and conditions they may be genetically predisposed to, such as Alzheimer’s disease. But Dr. Brandon Colby and Carlin say knowing can be lifesaving.

Read full, original post: Making a life plan based on your DNA

Outbreak Featured
Infographic: Gene transfer mystery — How 'antifreeze' genes jumped from one species to another without sex

Infographic: Gene transfer mystery — How ‘antifreeze’ genes jumped from one species to another without sex

It isn’t surprising... that herrings and smelts, two groups of fish that commonly roam the northernmost reaches of the Atlantic ...
a bee covered in pollen x

Are GMOs and pesticides threatening bees?

First introduced in 1995, neonicotinoids ...
glp menu logo outlined

Newsletter Subscription

* indicates required
Email Lists
glp menu logo outlined

Get news on human & agricultural genetics and biotechnology delivered to your inbox.