The GLP is committed to full transparency. Download and review our just-released 2019 Annual Report.

French President Macron: Farmers will face glyphosate ban only if there is ‘credible alternative’

| January 26, 2018

France will exempt farmers from a ban on using the weed-killer glyphosate in three years time where there is no credible alternative to the most widely used pesticide in the world, President Emmanuel Macron said on Thursday [Jan. 25].

Macron said in November glyphosate would be banned in France within three years, rejecting a European Union decision to extend its use for five years after a heated debate over whether the Monsanto-developed weed-killer causes cancer.

The announcement of the ban caused an outcry among farmers who rely on it heavily, saying three years was too soon to find an economic and environmentally viable alternative.

Related article:  'Laser weeding': Can robots partially replace farm tractors, harvesters and even herbicides like glyphosate?

Macron said on Thursday [Jan. 25] the exemption would likely concern 10 percent of cases, while solutions could be found for the other 90 percent. He also called for more immediate research.

“I will never impose a ban if there is no credible alternative,” Macron said in a speech to farmers in the Auvergne region in central France.

“We cannot leave a farmer without a solution or with a solution that would not be tenable because someone else nearby would not have the same constraints.”

Read full, original post: France says farmers exempt from glyphosate ban when no alternative

The GLP aggregated and excerpted this article to reflect the diversity of news, opinion, and analysis. Click the link above to read the full, original article.
News on human & agricultural genetics and biotechnology delivered to your inbox.
Optional. Mail on special occasions.

Send this to a friend